Tembec’s flagship manufacturing site
- One of the largest forest products manufacturing sites in North America.
- 800 site employees – 80% unionized under one collective agreement / 20% staff.
- Three main mills that manufacture different forest products: specialty cellulose, high-yield pulp and coated bleached board (containerboard); and a chemical products facility.
- A Tembec corporate office is near the site, in the Town of Temiscaming.
- Learn more about our specialty cellulose, high-yield pulp, coated bleached board and chemical products businesses.
We are taking action to transform our flagship manufacturing site in Temiscaming, Québec, and make it a highly-competitive world-class operation for the long term. This will enable us to meet customer expectations for quality and reliability, as well as community expectations for sustainability, while ensuring profitability for Tembec. The ongoing transformation follows our $273 million green energy investment at the site, the largest project in our industry in years.
Major investment in green energy
- In January 2015, our new Temiscaming green energy electricity facility began a 25-year contract with Hydro-Québec, which produces steady revenues.
- Other benefits of the $273 million project include greater manufacturing efficiency, lower costs and improved environmental performance.
- The electrical turbine is driven by steam from a boiler using as fuel residual liquor from the specialty cellulose manufacturing process – we extract full value from fiber.
Temiscaming is in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region
- Temiscaming, with a population of 1,500, overlooks the Ottawa River, on the provincial border between Québec and Ontario.
- Like most towns in the boreal forest region, Temiscaming is surrounded by lakes and rivers, so the area is very attractive to those who like canoeing, kayaking, boating and fishing.
- Forest products is a major local industry, as is recreational tourism (e.g. hiking, hunting).
- The area is known for winter sports: cross-country skiing, curling, hockey and snowmobiling.
- The comprehensive shopping and services of two larger communities, North Bay, Ontario, and Ville-Marie, Québec, are less than an hour’s drive away.
Tembec at Temiscaming
Tour our largest operation, where we manufacture specialty cellulose, Kallima coated cover, high-yield pulp and chemical products.